2015 DIY Chinese New Year cards

Chinese New Year (中國新年) is coming soon! Being part of Chinese family, I have the responsibility to send out the Chinese New Year greetings. I don't know where to find Chinese New Year card here in USA (and I don't really plan to do so, either ;P) So, I started all of these cards by browsing idea from internet. I make a bunch of template of the design I like and the ones represent the goat/sheep year. I really have no idea what is exactly the coming year be in English. In Chinese, we call it 羊年 but 羊 can be sheep (綿羊) or goat (山羊). Anyways, I see most of the design online were using goat so that's what I choose. Besides, I can also use the cute 2015 design with 2 goat heads.

Btw, this is my first time making lots of cards at the same time from scratch. And the results....

Cherry blossom themed cards
I really don't want to use white as the basic colour. Most of the Chinese New Year cards use either gold or red. Although white means purity in Chinese tradition, it often associated with death. Unfortunately, the cherry blossom will pop out more in white. So, I was being bold using white as the basic colour. Hopefully the relative that received this won't mind it.

Gold (a.k.a yellow) basic card theme
I want to use some Chinese lantern for the Chinese New Year cards. I also have couple red ribbons I want to use for the card design. Unfortunately, red on red won't do well. Thus, gold (a.k.a. yellow) basic card colour was my choice. The result... Hmm... not bad. I used golden glitter to make the basic shape of the lantern complete.

Super Chinese themed
I wanted to use Chinese window style so bad. And the results were these two cards. They were the most time consuming of all but they were the most fun. These cards were my favourite amongst all. I am planning to make similar cards again next year. Maybe with more unique Chinese window design.

Chinese border theme
Inspired by Chinese border, I made these cards. The top card's border was my own design and the bottom one is a copycat from the one I found online. The cards were simple but has Chinese feeling I am looking for the Chinese New Year cards. I used both goat head and 2015-two-goat-heads design for these cards to stress that this card is for 2015 Chinese New Year.

Glitter themed
Inspired by my circle Santa Christmas card, I made two Chinese kids head for one of the card. The carved card on the left was the original inspiration for my super Chinese style themed card. I used a lot of glitter for these cards to give it more "Wow" factor. I used a bit glitter here and there on couple of the cards but these three and the most glittery cards of all.

Overall, I love all of my Chinese New Year cards. They were simple but they, according to my husband, were impressive. I hope my families who will receive them will be pleased with the design.

Happy Chinese New Year! 新年快樂!

PS: I got all the messages mainly from this site.

Happy DIYing,
Sherls

Comments